Sudden increase in heart beat, chest moving. Not stress or anxiety-related, throat tightness. Should I be concerned?

Cardiologist
Question
In the past couple weeks I have had moments where my heart is suddenly beating so strong I can feel, and even see my chest move. These moments can happen when I am walking, sitting, or standing still, with no stress or anxiety related. During these moments my throat will sometimes feel very tight. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your question with diligence.
What you have described is called Palpitation, it is a cause to be concerned about not to panic.
Please answer a set of 5 questions before reach to the conclusion.
1. This awareness of your heartbeat is akin to someone pounding your chest from within rapidly or forcefully, You can say you agree with someone pounding is OK but whether it is rapid and forceful you cant say or it is both rapid and forceful or rapid only.
2. Are there any skipped beats of heart in an episode.
3. You said you feel very tight that is alright. Do you feel lightheaded or is there any giddiness or blackout during an episode.
4. An episode begins like a bolt from blue and ends suddenly, as abruptly as it began or it slowly builds up and then gradually settles down. How long it lasts.\?
5. During an episode an electrocardiogram or EKG has been done or you have been examined and started on any medicines.

You may not answer all of them but whatever information you will provide shall be useful in planning a strategy to manage them. So, I am looking forward to answer from you. I will try to answer thereafter as soon as possible. Regards.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Sudden increase in heart beat, chest moving. Not stress or anxiety-related, throat tightness. Should I be concerned? 21 minutes later
Thank you for your information so far. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. It is like someone pounding on my chest, but not rapidly. As far as I can tell, my heart continues to beat at the regular rate.

2. I have not noticed any skipped beats.

3. I have not experienced any giddiness or lightheadedness during these episodes, however I do occasionally experience lightheadedness/dizziness with no known cause, but never at the same time as the heart episodes.

4. I would say that it begins completely out of the blue, and then slows a bit, and ends. I would say that it usually lasts around 30-60 seconds.

5. I have not had any tests or examinations done, nor am I on any medications (aside from ibuprofen occasionally for headaches)

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 32 minutes later

Thanks for answering my questions succinctly and promptly. I guess we have a reasonable diagnosis or set of diagnoses to work with. You have either a). Paroxysmal Supraventrciular Tachycardia(PSVT) odd point is it does not end abruptly. b). Second possibility is intermittent atrial fibrillation and c). Third and a remote one is palpitation in situation of with stage of volume overload condition of heart like mitral regurgitation.

Well everything is treatable but require prescription drugs. Additionally, diagnosis has to be established therefore please fix an appointment with the doctor at the earliest. Doctor will do the physical and systemic examination in detail. He may ask for an echocardiography+ Doppler examination and ECG. If arrhythmia is not found on ECG, he would order an Holter examination. Depending on type or arrhythmia you will be given calcium channel blocker drugs like Verapamil or Diltiazem or betablockers. If the disease is still troubling you further invasive treatment like radio frequency ablation can be contemplated, chances of which are very remote. Therefore, nothing to worry, it is only a cause of concern which need to be addressed. Good Luck.
Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Sudden increase in heart beat, chest moving. Not stress or anxiety-related, throat tightness. Should I be concerned? 27 minutes later
thank you so much

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 12 minutes later
Hello, pleasure is all mine. You may close the query,with comments. Thank You.
Dr Anil Grover