Sudden high fever, severe headache, dizziness, sore throat, muscle ache, lower back pain. Any suggestion on what can be this?

I suddenly came down with a 103.8 temperature yesterday and now it is at 99.7. Symptoms include sever headache, dissyness, sore throat, and muscle aches including lower back. Do you have any suggestions? I stayed home from work today. Should I stay home tomorrow just to be safe?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
It appears that you could be having possible Viral fever which is supported by headache, feeling feverish, sore throat and generalized muscle soreness.

Usually viral fevers will subside on their own within a week or two unless they get complicated.

You can do gargles with warm saline for relief. Keep well hydrated with plenty of warm fluids and especially fruit juices.

Keep warm, avoid exposure to cold as this could aggravate the problem. You can avoid going to the work to avoid any exertion.

Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Eat high protein diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat, eggs.

You can take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen round the clock after meals for symptomatic relief. Also if you develop yellow colour sputum or shortness of breath then you may need to consult with your Doctor for systemic antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Sudden high fever, severe headache, dizziness, sore throat, muscle ache, lower back pain. Any suggestion on what can be this? 39 minutes later
So this does not seem to be a form of the flu? My mother is wanting me to get checked out by a doctor to confirm. Do you think that I am contagious?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Viral infections are same as flu. These are contagious. You need to be careful about your hygiene. You can consult your physician in case the above mentioned home remedies are not helpful and the symptoms are persistent.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.