Sudden feeling of weakness, muscle pain, tired and tightness in chest. What is wrong?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
Please could you give me some advice. Today whilst shopping in the supermarket I had to leave my basket on the floor: I felt as if I had a XXXXXXX moving up and down at the top of my chest and suddenly felt very weak and my right arm seemed to be very painful as if my muscles were not there. When i sat down in the car I was very tired and have not felt good all day. This incident seemed to cause tightness in my chest which has lasted all day.
This has happened to me many times.I do not want to return to my doctor as I am sure he thinks that I wasted his time.
A year ago I had an ECG and tests at the doctors and nothing was found .

Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 43 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology.
I read your mail with diligence. I sincerely believe you have some issues of concern which need to be addressed. Certainly you are not wasting my time.
The way symptoms are recurrent and improve tightness in the center of chest point towards heart. However, in otherwise good health between the remission, pain to right arm and general malaise are not the symptoms of heart disease. Moreover EKG was normal. I would have satisfied if a Treadmill Test is done.

That leaves us with structure where all the sensations from lower part of chest to neck go that is cervical spine. With age (some time in younger age too) cervical spine vertebra show signs of wear and tear. Intervertebral space decreases and bony concretion develop. They, at times in specific positions (like when you bent down to pick the basket) can compress the nerve(s) which are bringing sensations from chest and right arm. You may get feeling of sensations in chest and right arm. The whole experience is not a pleasant one and feeling being ill can persist for hours. Try these simple remedies meanwhile seek appointment with doctor, who will do a physical examination and he may order investigations like EKG(to exclude heart disease) and x-ray or scans of cervical spine. His/her advice will certainly be needed for further management.
1. Use hard Bed with thin flat mattress.
2. Pillow should be as thin as possible.
3. Avoid jerky movements of spine of the neck
4. Gently pressing face and chin against hand while trying to touch the either shoulder (without raising); front so as trying to touch front of chest and head trying to touch,against hand support, the back are neck exercises to strengthening the neck muscles.
5. While backing up the car do not crane your neck but use rear view mirror.
6. By now the doctor would have taken over if the diagnosis is confirmed, wearing a cervical collar is recommended at least indoors for as much time as possible.

If there is further question I will be most happy to answer.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover, Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Sudden feeling of weakness, muscle pain, tired and tightness in chest. What is wrong? 15 minutes later
Thank you for your help and for taking the time to answer my query- I appreciate your advice and will follow your advice.

Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 11 minutes later
Thank you for your kind words. You may please close the query with comments. It was pleasure interacting with you. You can write to me final diagnosis YYYY@YYYY Regards

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover, Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW