Sudden episodes of dizziness and lightheadedness. Causes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Ive been getting these sudden waves that come over me, and make me feel lightheaded or dizzy and like I'm on on a roller coaster ride. I have to stand up and walk or do something immediately to get my mind off of it. Than sometimes I get shaky too. It hits me out of no we're. Even when im sitting down at work What could this be. I'm nervous
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Sudden repeated bouts of dizziness at your age do need an attention. There are many causes for dizziness.

Common ones are high blood pressure, low blood pressure, cervical spondylitis, anemia, and low blood sugar, use of sedatives, tranquilizers and antidepressants.

Uncommon reasons can be due to brain reasons or arrhythmias and cardiomyopathies.

My purpose of telling you the causes is so that you don't take your symptoms lightly and consult your doctor and get yourself physically examined along with various investigations.
I hope you understand.

Meanwhile you can help yourself by-
1.Sit immediately when you feel dizzy to avoid any possible injuries
2. Avoid taking on high stress or concentration requiring activities such as driving a car or operating machinery if you experience frequent dizziness spells
3.Rise slowly from bed or spend a few minutes in bed before waking up this helps normalize blood pressure

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Sudden episodes of dizziness and lightheadedness. Causes? 15 hours later
In dont have them frequently, it only happens once in awhile, I was told it could possibly be a panic attack, because i get all jittery and sweaty and like a ruch feeling its not as much dizzy as like my body just feels like its giving up for about 10 seconds sometimes longer. Could this be just a panic attack?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Panic attacks can also cause such dizziness. You can try to calm your mind by doing a XXXXXXX breathing relaxation exercises.
In case the symptoms are recurrent and persistent then it is better to get yourself investigated to rule out the organic causes.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.