Sudden development of moles. Should I be worried about large moles? Family history of melanoma

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am over 40. I have noticed several new moles forming over the last week or so. None look unusual, it just seems like they are forming quickly (unless it is my imagination). I do not spend a lot of time outdoors. I have several other moles. Most of my moles look ok. I do have one large flat one on my back that I have had for years and have watched. It is symmetrical, but big. Should I be concerned? Anything else to look for? I have scheduled a skin screen. I do have some family history with melanoma. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Rapidly appearing new moles with a family history of melanoma needs attention.
A mole anywhere on the body can be XXXXXXX especially if it changes shape, size or colour over time. So, please do keep a close watch on the moles on your body for change as such:

A- Asymmetry (irregular shape)
B- Change in the border of the mole (expanding in size or not)
C- Change in colour
D- Diameter (More than 6mm diameter is suspicious)
You should go ahead with the skin screen as scheduled.
Avoid sun exposure as much as possible. Wear sun screen to reduce the harmful effect of UV rays on the skin which can aggravate the danger of mole turning malignant. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables to ensure good supply of vitamins and minerals for skin and antioxidant effect as well. Drink plenty of water.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.