Sudden development of indent on the head. Reason?

I am a 54 year old female and recently developed a long indent on the top of my head on the right side of my part which is in the middle of my head. What could this be it started about 3 months ago
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the problems you are experiencing.

From the details it looks like you have a recent onset indentation on the right side of the head suggestive of skull deformity. Skull deformities in your age is often due to head injuries and trauma. Other common causes are thinning of the skull table due to destruction or erosion which can happen in infections of the skull and tumors involving the skull and the meninges of the brain.

My recommendation would be for you to see your general practitioner for a good physical examination and consultation if you have not had any recent head injuries. CT or MRI of the head would be an ideal investigation in you to know the cause of the problem. I want to reassure you most often indentation of the skull does not signify any serious disease. This is certainly not something that is not life-threatening.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.