Ask a Dentist   »  

Sudden development of a pronounced facial indentation on the cheek. Reasons?

Why have I suddenly developed a pronounced facial indentation in my left cheek?!?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later
Sudden development of a pronounced facial indentation on the cheek is usually seen after a XXXXXXX pimple due the scar tissue formation.
It is not likely to be related to the gold crown you installed recently.
It could be related to the XXXXXXX seated infection of the tooth which has caused the excessive fibrous tissue formation.
This is a harmless change in the skin and is not indicative of a major health issue.
So do not worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Sudden development of a pronounced facial indentation on the cheek. Reasons? 6 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response, Dr. Tayal. The problem is, I have not had a pimple there. At 82, I almost never get pimples anymore. Shall I see my dentist again to ask if there might be a "deep seated infection of the tooth" of which I am not aware? I am concerned because my face now is deformed and no longer evenly oval ... even though that may seem vain.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can consult your dentist if he could do something to release the fibrous tissue and check out for any XXXXXXX seated infections.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.