Sudden arm pain, lightheadedness, shortness of breath, now tense muscles but no pain

Hello, I have a question, about an hour ago I was in the store and was walking around, when there was a quick sharp pain on my left side under my left arm, it was over quick, but it happened again 5 minutes later. It didn't happen again but I left semi-lightheaded and short of breath, which all but the lightheadedness as gone. My left arm has tense muscles now, but there isn't pain etc. Should I go to the hospital and have it looked at or should I wait and see.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 28 minutes later

Sudden arm pain which just lasted for few seconds can be due to muscle spasm,insufficient blood supply, stress,anxiety,any medication effect,electrolyte deficiency. etc.

Prolonged stress can cause pain and lead to muscle tightness.It seems you might have experienced that.

Right now just relax yourself and if the pain arises again or there is any other unusual symptom as chest pain,breathing difficulty consider visiting a hospital soon.

1)Have a glass of juice or electrolyte solution so that if any electrolyte deficieny can be corrected.

2)Have well balanced food and include fruits,salads and nuts in diet.

3)Restrict smoking and alcohol.

4)Practice relaxation techniques as Yoga,Meditation.

5)Do not spend time alone and be with friends,family.

6)Reduce stress and have adequate sleep.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if you have any doubt.