Sudden appearance of mole on the back, was sunburnt

A mole on my back that looks new, I was sunburnt badly on holiday this summer and was worried.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: Sudden appearance of mole on the back, was sunburnt 3 minutes later
please look at the photo enclosed to assess
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 28 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query. I have seen the photo too.

The mole you have written seems to be red in colour and more like an rash that has erupted due to secondary infection or an infected and healed acne or pustule.

These will require an course of antibiotic prescribed by your physician which will cover the most common micro organisms causing it in your locality.

Both these common conditions are itchy, and painfull to touch. Keeping the surrounding clean with antiseptic creams or lotion will minimize the spread and its stop it from growing.

Second, I recommend to use a Sunscreen lotion or cream which is has SPF content more than 26 and also includes PA+ (Protection strength) for atleast a week.

If you suspect it to be an skin cancer then consider these points.

1. The mole should have appeared recently.
2. The mole should grow more than 2mm in diameter per week.
3. The mole should cause intense itching.
4. The mole should have an raised edge above the surrounding skin.
5. The colour of the mole keeps changing or darkens.
6. If the mole is ulcerated then the edge will be of the ulcer will be rough, thick and raised. and sometimes white/pink and rounded like pearls.
6. There are numerous moles around this and are trying to merge.

I hope this answers your query.

If you have any other query feel free to write back. I will answer them.