Sudden appearance of brown and flat spot on bottom of ear lobe. What is it?

Critical Care Specialist
Hi, I have had a brown patch / spot suddenly appear on the bottom of my ear lobe. It is small in size and it appeared yesterday. I am concerned as to what it is. It is flat...
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ghaly 2 hours later

Please do let me know if there is any bleeding ,itchiness,ulceration?

Was there any insect bites?

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Sudden appearance of brown and flat spot on bottom of ear lobe. What is it? 41 hours later
I do not think there was an insect bite. My ear was quite sore when I looked I had a spot on it and then notice this brown spot
Answered by Dr. Ghaly 24 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
If there was soreness, then we are looking at some bug/insect bite which you may not have noticed. If it is associated with significant amount of pain, you will need to take an analgesic like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required (upto 3 tablets daily). if there is itching or you can see some fluid accumulating, please apply an antibiotic cream or powder like neosporin which will help prevent infection. In addition, you would need an OTC steroid ointment like Betnovate twice a day. This will definitely help your symptoms.
If you have no symptoms, dont worry. This should resolve on its own in 5-7 days.
Let me know if you have any other questions.