Sudden and sharp hip pain. Is this serious?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
yesterday night i was suddenly felt pain in my left hip,pain was so intense that i was feeling pain even when i had to move around.what caused that hip pain or is it serious?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

From description it seems that you had a muscle pull at your hip joint.
You should give proper rest to your hip. Do not put full weights from that side.
Pain killers like Diclofenac 50 mg twice a day after meals along with antacid like Omeprazole 20 mg along with muscle relaxant like Tizanidine 2 mg twice a day for 5-7 days will provide some relief.
Take medicines under medical supervision only. Hot fomentation and application of local pain relieving gel will be helpful.
Physiotherapy is very beneficial in such cases.
If the problem persists, get yourself examined by an Orthopedician.

I hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.