Sudden and severe attack of giddiness. Diagnosed with vertigo, taking vertin. Cause of sudden attack?

ENT Specialist
Just two days back i had severe attack of giddiness all of a sudden, This happened after my regular exercise & yoga ( which have been doing for the last 6 years) . I could not stand on my feet and move my head. I am not a diabetic and do not suffer from BP too. I am not taking any medications. I got admitted to ER at a local hospital. I vomited a lot and slowly started becoming alright. In about 4 hours from the initial attack, i become alright and i moved out of ER. I am doing fine for the last 48 hours.

When i walk step by step with eyes closed , i start wobbling. With eyes open i do fine.

The initial diagnostic of ENT specialist indicates Vertigo. ( i am yet to undergo the battery of tests) I am taking Vertin 16 thrice a day.

My question is: 1. what is the cause of this sudden attack 2. What can i do to prevent such sudden attacks?

Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

I have gone through your query and your treatment. I agree with your ENT surgeon. It does look like you are suffering from vertigo.

I would like to tell you that such type of vertigo is usually self limiting and spontaneous rehabilitation takes place in about 2 to 3 weeks time. As you said that after 48 hrs of attack with medication you are feeling well now and you have problem in movement with your eye closed only, this indicates that your ocular inputs are compromising the vestibular gap. I would like to know what investigations were done at your ENT surgeon's office and whether or not an Electronystagmogram (ENG) was performed. It would also be helpful if you can upload the reports here.

Regarding your queries, based on your symptoms and my past experience, I feel you could be suffering with vestibulitis.
I would be able to comment about the preventive measures based on the reports (ENG) that you upload.

Awaiting your reply...

With Regards