Successful bone marrow transplant for AML. Now have back pain, cough, loss of appetite. Why?

I am a 62 year old female. About 8 yearsao I had a successful bone marrow transplant for AML and all annual checkups have been good. Now I have several symptoms and I am concerned: lower back pain doing up my scapula, sleeping almost all the time, loss of appetite, cloudy urine, very thirsty, headache, yellow skin, mild nausea, slight cough.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Radhika 10 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

You have a history of AML (Acute Myeloid Leukamia) for which you were successfully treated with bone marrow transplant. Now you have certain symptoms due to which you are concerned.

Yellow skin, loss of appetite, cloudy urine, nausea, sleeping most of the time or lethargy are most probably signs of Jaundice. You will need to get this investigated by a Physician. Certain tests like Liver function tests will help to determine this.

Also sometimes, there are chances of Graft-versus-host disease (GVHD). It is a complication that can occur after a stem cell or bone marrow transplant in which the newly transplanted material attacks the transplant recipient's body.

Acute GVHD usually happens within the first 3 months after transplant. Chronic GVHD usually starts more than 3 months after transplant, and can last a lifetime.

Chronic symptoms may include: Dry eyes and dry mouth, Hair loss, Hepatitis, Lung and digestive tract disorders, Skin rash, Skin thickening, etc.

You are showing certain symptoms of hepatitis like:
Cloudy urine, fatigue, yellowing of the skin, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting.

It is better to get examined by your treating physician for this.

Increased feeling of thirst and cough is most probably seen due to your Lithium medication. For your lower back pain radiating to scapula it might be caused due to back injuries, spinal problems, arthritis, fibromylagia, osteoporosis, scoliosis, spinal stenosis, etc.

You will need to do LS (Lumbosacral ) spinal X XXXXXXX and need to get examined by Orthopedician. Till then, you can apply Ointment like Bengay over the area and take mild pain killers like Tab.Tylenol twice a day after food which is available over the counter.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.