Subcutaneous fibroids all over my body. Diet related? Should be removed?

I'm a 53-year-old male with 7 subcutaneous fibroids all over my body, which developed in the last 6-to-8 years. They're each about a half-inch in diameter and they're unsightly. I'm concerned that they may impact my health and appearance down the road. My late mother had them removed when she had them all over her arms 40 years ago. What causes them? Are there any diet-related factors? Do they need to be removed?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there,

Thank you for posting your question.

I am not sure what you mean by "subcutaneous fibroids". I wonder if what you are describing here are lipoma -- organised, encapsulated globules of subcutaneous fatty tissue. If that is what you have you will also notice that they are freely movable slippery lumps not attached to either your skin or underlying tissues.

The cause of these benign fatty tumours is unknown. They are not diet related. Sometimes they resolve and go away spontaneously. They can be removed surgically but, if I were you, I would not rush at this.

I hope this helps. If I have got you wrong them please revert with further description of your subcutaneous lumps. Otherwise please accept my explanation.

Thanks and good health.
Follow-up: Subcutaneous fibroids all over my body. Diet related? Should be removed? 5 days later
Hi Dr. Rynne
Yes, they're lipomas.
It seems as though not much is known about these things, and frankly, I'm surprised that there is so little information out there about them. So many people have them it seems.
I'm not a physician, but I have a gut feeling they are at least in part diet-related...I think they're the result of many years of consuming meat and animal products (and by-products!). I hope one day someone really looks into them.
Thanks for getting back to me. XXXXXXX