Subclinical hypothyroidism, muscle loss, done thyroid test, had hypertension, prediabetes

I am 68 year old male . I am hyepertensive for the past 30 years.Taking antihypertensive drugs(betablockers ) since then it is well under control right from 30 years. I am diagnosed an year back with prediabetes. Recently i am told by my friends that i lost some muscle.but I did not lost weight. Iam 68 years of age. height 5ft 8 in. weight 65.5 kgs.I have undergone thyroid test The result is T3 1.6 , T4 6.5 and TSH is 10.1. do i have to start taking the drug for this . I am told that i have subclinical hypothyroidsm.Kindly advise
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 28 minutes later

Subclinical Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the symptoms of hypothyroidism are not present and is only diagnosed by increased levels of TSH.Usually it is expected that it may proceed to hypothyroid state after some time.

The medications are normally started if the TSH value is greater then 10mu/l.Also the Lipid profile is important in this case as if the cholesterol values are deranged then it is advised to start the Levothyroxine that is thyroid replacement therapy.

I would advise you to get a Lipid profile also done and if the values are within the normal range and you do not have any symptoms as muscle weakness,lethargy,cold feelng etc then it can be considered to wait for 4 to 5 months for starting the medication after discussing with your Physician.

If the TSH values are still increasing then medication can be started.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up in case of doubt.

Follow-up: Subclinical hypothyroidism, muscle loss, done thyroid test, had hypertension, prediabetes 2 hours later
Thank you doctor for your advise. Regarding the treatment, im already started Tab thyronorm 25 mg one tab a day since 2 weeks.If suppose my Lipid levels are normal, and if i do not have any other symptoms, can i stop taking the medicine and go for
TSH test after 3 months to see whether the TSH level is increasing or not?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Since you have already started the medication and it has been two weeks, I would suggest you not to stop it abruptly now.

Continue with the medication as suggested by your doctor and rather after few months or later you can gradually decrease the dose after repeating the tests under the guidance of your treating Physician.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you Good health!