Stuffy nose, throbbing in head, weakness post accident. Was taking tonsillitis medicine during fall. Symptoms due to tonsils or fall?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I was in a mild bike accident 6 days ago, where I fell of the bike after going rather fast and hit my head somewhat on the road besides that nothing major apart from some scrapes and bruises. The head injury was not very sever either, I was able to break most of my fall with my hands/shoulder and only hit my chin on the ground resulting in a small (maybe a cm in diameter) bleeding injury on the chin. I don't think I lost consciousness upon impact, and was certainly up before anyone had a chance to reach me. Anyway I didn't believe it was anything serious so didn't go to see a doctor. The next day I didn't feel great but I was also on some antibiotics for tonsillitis at the time and thought it was due to the tonsils rather than the fall. However it has been 6 days now and my tonsils are more or less fine apart from a bit of a stuffy nose, but I still have a constant throbbing in my head since the fall. I wouldn't call it a headache as it isn't painful more as if my head was overfilled/overstuffed. I also cant concentrate on anything, loose focus quickly, and am generally in a slight haze, whenever I stand up I feel slightly lightheaded, I sometimes loose balance when walking (not so much as to fall but enough to sway noticeably and have to correct myself) and I feel generally weak. I would not say that these symptoms got worse since the fall/accident but they are still here and about as bad as they were the second day or so after the fall. I have also found I have trouble with my memory a bit, like I need a few seconds to remember what I was doing the day before. I went to see a general physician about two days after the fall to check my tonsillitis, and she did a rudimentary head injury test (flashlight in the eyes, blood pressure, touching nose with finger etc) and said she couldn't see anything wrong. Like I said it is quite possible that all this is due to a relapse in the tonsillitis but my tonsils don't hurt and I have had tonsillitis before and never felt anything like the symptoms I feel now. Should I be worried? What type of doctor should I go see, a neurologist? Should I get a CT Scan? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 55 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

A head injury may not produce immediate symptoms. The head injury that you have sustained may not be severe enough to cause loss of consciousness or some other other neurological symptoms.
However, sometimes concussion injuries can produce the symptoms which you are experiencing.

A CT scan is required.
Tonsillitis is unlikely to cause these symptoms.

Consult a neurologist for relevant investigations and CT scan to rule out any focal injury, any bleed or any fracture, etc.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal