Stuffy nose, sore throat, got plugged ear on blowing nose. How can I resolve this?

I have a cold, . Mostly stuffy nose and a slightly sore throat. I have been blowing my nose a lot. Then, once when I blew my nose, my ear got plugged. I have never had an ear infection, and I have beentrying to pop my ear but it`s not working. I have even used a XXXXXXX pot, but that hasn`t helped either. Preferably, I must say, I need this resolved quickly. I drive for a living and must get back to work Tuesday.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Most likely the symptoms you are experiencing particularly the sensation of blocked ear is due to congestion and edema of upper airway. you would highly benefit from a decongestant; the best one is pseudoephedrine extended release, but phenylephrine works as well. antihistaminics like diphenhydramine, cetirizine or fexofenadine can be used in combination

Hope you recover soon, best regards

dr brenes salazar md
mayo clinic. mn