Struggling with joint pains. Standing leads to hip pain. What is wrong? What can I do?

My mom is struggiling with joint pains. on her knees, elbows , shoulder, Hip. She also says is she stand for a while she gets hip pain. We did all the tests. Nothing conclusive and we are not whom to consult. Could you please suggest how to proceed?
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 38 minutes later

I can appreciate your concern for your mother.

The reasons for multiple joint pains commonly are:

1. Rheumatoid arthritis-
2. Gout
3. Vitamin B12 defi
4. Vitamin D defi
5. Calcium deif

Ideal person to consult for this is orthopedic surgeon or rheumatologist.

Please discuss this with your family and doctor and ask for a proper referral.

Most of the cases respond satisfactorily to the treatment.

After examination the doctor may advise some investigations like

RA Test
S.Uric Acid
Vit D level
B12 Level
Blood counts
blood sugar
X XXXXXXX as per need

In mean time, this should help.

1. Ask her to more of fruits, vegetables soups etc.
2. Maintain healthy routine, keep walking till she has pain, and just stop before pain starts
3. Apply some analgesic oint over the site of pain
4. Milk and milk products are good source of calcium

Wishing her good health.

Follow-up: Struggling with joint pains. Standing leads to hip pain. What is wrong? What can I do? 37 hours later
Thanks for your informative answer. We did blood and urine test. Per the report there is no vitamin deficiency. My mob has diabetes and it is under control.. We consulted a general physician yesterday. He suggested taking Vitamin B12 injection (Nureobin). We also visited Ojus( WWW.WWWW.WW . The doctor there suggested going for 7 days physiotherapy. We are thinking of trying it out before going to orthopedic Surgeon. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 10 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

There is no harm in trying these injections.

Apart from this, as she is diabetic please discuss with your doctor about supplementation of Vit D in next visit when you go to him.

I do not know how physiotherapy will help.

Still you try this injection first and wait for the response. In case of problem still persists you can consult an orthopedic Surgeon.

Wishing her good health.