Ask a Urologist   »  

Strong smelling and cloudy urine, flank pain. Urine tests normal. What does it appear to be?

I have strong smelling urine, cloudy with flank pain on the left side. I have had several urine tests and apparently no infection. What does it appear to be please?
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
You have very suggestive symptoms of non-complicated urine. Additionally there is possibility to develop frequency, urgency, lower abdominal pain, dysuria. You can’t rule out UTI based on negative urinalysis and ignore clinical picture, In many cases simple urinalysis will show normal result.
At this stage I would recommend you more advanced diagnostic tests for definitive diagnosis and in case of confirmed infection , chosen right and most effective antibiotic. Following tests will be very helpful to you : Urine testing-Microscopic examination; Cultures ( recommended when symptoms are suggestive but urinalysis is nondiagnostic, as we see in your case ); complete blood count with kidney function test ( to determine if upper or lower tract is affected ); saline wet mount ( microscopic exam) to rule out yeast infection. As a general advice until all test will be done , you may take ibuprofen and ensure adequate fluid intake. All above mentioned tests will clarify your condition and accordingly will be more easy start treatment with antibiotics( in case of confirmed bacterial cause).
I wish you good luck and speedy recovery,
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. , If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,