Strong shaking of brain for seconds during rest / when about to sleep since long. What?

Hello, I’m 35 .. When I am sleep resting or just about to fall asleep my brain shakes so fast but its so qick like 5 or 6 seconds but I can feel it and hear brain shaking, but I can’t stop it because it happens so fast and I don’t have control. This has been happening for 7-8 years now and only my wife noticed. This happens to me about 2-3 times week and sometimes its strong, like so fast like lightning and it hurts. whatt is that illness & is it serious, what are side effects & should I tell my doctor.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 3 hours later

You are having this since 7-8 years; Yes, you should share this with your doctor.

There are a couple of possibilities in your case.

1. Vertigo-it could be due reasons related to brain or ear. In this condition whenever your head moves fast you feel things are shaking inside or outside, you become uncomfortable, and having tendency to fall or urge to vomit. This is a common presentation, but it is not necessary that everything is present in every case.
2. Anxiety. Stress can also lead to this. When you are not comfortable with yourself, this can happen.

It is difficult to comment more on this as it is difficult without physical examination to correlating other things.

The best thing you can do is to visit your sleep in mean time. Also, try to recollect any other things noticed by your wife, which can give clue to the condition that you have.

I hope this helps you to understand the situation. In case of any further queries that you have, please write to me again.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Pragnesh