Strong heartbeat, chest tightness and discomfort, dizzyness and tingling sensation in back. What it could be?

Yesterday i got this strong heartbeat, my whole chest shook and followed by 2 that were the same but less intense a couple of minutes later. Then i got chest tightness and discomfort i was scared and i was thinking im getting a heart attack im going to die. Im still having some these heartbeats today that come now and then but are much less intense. I remember 2 hours after this happened to me i was a little dizzy for 2 mins then i was fine and symptoms got better, but i got a tingling sensation in back for 10 minutes what could this be?
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 8 hours later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. At a young age like yours, typical heart disease like the one seen in older patients, with obstructed arteries of the heart is quite rare. Nevertheless, young people can have heart disease too: congenital valvular disease, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, different types of arrhythmia, etc. It sounds like you had dizziness and some sense of an abnormal heartbeat.

I would strongly encourage you to see a healthcare provider who can examine you thoroughly, and perhaps order some basic tests such as an EKG and an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) if it detects any abnormalities.

Wish you the best health; hope this answer is helpful.

dr brenes salazar md
mayo clinic rochester
Follow-up: Strong heartbeat, chest tightness and discomfort, dizzyness and tingling sensation in back. What it could be? 5 hours later
I did an ekg a week ago which was normal and heart ultrasound 2 years ago which was also normal, could it be my anxiety buy i have anxiety
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
If further workup would be pursued, then a Holter monitor or an event monitor could be indicated. You can discuss the options further with your physician. If these are unremarkable then other diagnostic possibilities, stress, anxiety, etc could be entertained but it is important to rule out an organic cause first.

Hope this is helpful wish you the best health.

dr brenes salazar