Strong body odour from the armpit. What could be the reason?

Dec 2013

I have recently been experiencing a rather strong body odor from the armpit. I do not think it is a matter of hygeine. I shower at least once a day, use deoderant, and have not been more phyically active than usual. Somewhere I read that an odor like Almonds is symptomatic of some problem.. I just purchasede a bottle of almond extract and it seems quite similar in odor as my odor problem. Please advise.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go for your sugar check

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX
I can understand your concern for recent change in body odor form arm pits.

Before I proceed to your problem let me explain you some medical facts.

Our sweat is secreted by various types of sweat glands. Odor of the skin in humans is to a large extent determined by these sweat glands. Secretion of sweat glands is usually odorless, but various substances may be excreted in it—for example, garlic, drugs or any food additives.

As this odorless secretion is reaches the surface bacterial decomposition liberates fatty acids, etc., with characteristic smells. So the normal bacteria present over the skin changes the odor of eh sweat to its own peculiar smell which is characteristic to each individual.

Now in yourself there is a recent change in the odor to that of almonds. Though there is no reported cause where we find sweat odor like almonds but as I can see your medical history which reports as prediabetic status. In diabetics especially we find patients experiencing sugary smell. So it can be just a part of the same.

I suggest you to go for your Blood sugar checked in three forms- one is fasting, the second one is 2 hour after meals and lastly but most importantly is GLYCATED HEMOGLOBIN or HbA1C. This will tell us the recent control as well as control in last 3 months. If this is alright then there is nothing to be worried about.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)
Follow-up: Strong body odour from the armpit. What could be the reason? 6 minutes later
Thank you so very much for your reply and advice. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give us a follow up regarding your sugar status

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Its really a delight to guide you best regarding your problem. Do give us a follow up regarding your sugar status.
If you have any further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not then can close the discussion and rate the answer.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)