Stroke,congestive heart failure,nose bleed,choking

My 90 year old mother just had a massive stroke. She also has congestive heart failure. She is now getting choked on everything she eats and has also developed nose bleeds. I can't get anyone at the nursing home to answer my questions. Are the nose bleeds and the choking-could they be connected to the heart?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 19 hours later

I have gone through her history. I feel the choking is likely to be related to her stroke as some muscles involved in swallowing would have been affected by the paralysis.

You will have to inform the hospital staff about the choking since it is XXXXXXX and she might have to be given nasal feeds.Anything by mouth has to be stopped.

As for her bleeding since she is on coumadin , this medication will cause an increase in bleeding hence the nose bleeds.

She will need to get her PT/ INR done to check if the value is grossly elevated .

If it has it might have to be stopped temporarily.

You will have to speak to your treating doctor about this.

Hope i have answered your query, i will be available for follow up.