Stroke patient and feeling difficulty to pass motion. Looking for cure

Hello Dr. Grief. My mother is a stroke patient & is bed ridden. The problem she is currently facing is she is unable to pass motions. She feels like passing motion but is unable to because of which she is in immense pain. She is not constipated. She does pass motions 2-3 times a day. But sometimes this problem causes her a lot of distress. Please help...
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 14 minutes later
I am not sure whether you would want me to answer this question.
Well likely your mother may be having severe constipation with a strong possibility of impacted feces in rectum (fecolith) in which stools form a hard mass in rectum which patient is unable to pass through anal opening.
Ideally she should undergo an rectal finger examination to feel the mass.
If it is there the an attempt should be made to dis impact it with finger which may be bit painful to her initially. There after you can give her olive oil enema 60 ml for 3 days which will help to soften stool. Also liquid paraffin orally along with other stool softeners will help her. Local application of an anesthetic jelly will help to relieve her pain during passing stools. Also increase her water and fiber intake which will help her long term. Stool she is passing twice could be only small amount of liquid stool seeping beside the hard stool mass.
Hope this answers your query.
Please do reply in case of any further questions.
Wish her a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Stroke patient and feeling difficulty to pass motion. Looking for cure 40 hours later
Thank you doctor. We got an enema administered yesterday morning. However today again she seems to feel a lot of discomfort. Considering the fact that she is almost bed ridden she is bound to feel that way. What I would like to ask is, would you recommend a liquid diet? If yes what should the diet comprise of & for how many days?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 6 hours later
Thanks for the query,
There is no need to give liquid diet unless she has vomiting or abdominal distention. Give her full diet XXXXXXX in fiber to form bulk of stools ( so that she can pass stools easily). Giving her liquid paraffin everyday is also important. Discomfort will settle only after the impacted stool clears.
Hope this answers your query.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
I wish her a speedy recovery.