Stroke patient. Noticed swelling in mouth roof and pain in arm. Any ideas?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
The roof of my mouth suddenly became very swollen, as well as my right arm has started hurting extremely much so (throughout the day, but more so when my mouth pain started). Im a stroke patient (last stroke April) so I am semi worried. Any ideas?
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 hours later

1. Roof of mouth is basically a partition which separates the oral cavity from the nasal cavity. This partition is made by a bony plate known as hard palate anteriorly and a soft tissue partition posteriorly known as soft palate.
Any pathology of hard palate and soft palate will cause swelling in the roof of mouth.
The mucosa covering hard palate and soft palate also harbours minor salivary glands. Any infection, inflammation or neoplasm of these glands will also cause swelling.
Any infection, inflammation or neoplasm of nasal cavity can also cause a swelling projecting into the oral cavity, as the two cavities are adjacent to each other separated only by a single plate.
Since there is associated pain, infection/ inflammation is more likely.
To know the exact cause you need to visit an ENT specialist for relevant investigations- a CT head and neck preferably.

2. The right arm pain seems to be unrelated to the swelling/ pain in the mouth.
Since, there is history of stroke in the past; pain in the arm can be due to vascular cause.
However, there are various other causes for the pain- muscular pain, nerve associated pain, pain due to some kind of trauma to name a few.
Exact cause can only be determined by investigations.
You need to consult your doctor for the problem. A Doppler may be required to rule out a vascular cause.

I hope it helps.
In case you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal