Stroke, no movement, dementia, anxiety, triple heart bypass, has pacemaker. What can be the opinion on this?

Hi, My father suffered a stroke 2 years ago and has no movement in his left side, he also has stroke related dementia. Recently he is very breathless at rest, but breathes OK when he is asleep. Our family GP thinks this is related to anxiety (dad is already on medication for depression) but I am not convinced. he also had a triple heart bypass ten years ago, has a pacemaker and pre-stroke suffered from blood pressure problems. Just wondering whether we should be asking for a second opinion on the diagnosis of anxiety for the severe breathlessness he suffers. thanks
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I am a cardiologist and I read your description with diligence.

It would be safe to presume that CT scan or MRI showed lesion on the opposite side of the dominant hand (if he is left hand paralysis than the lesion was on right side cortex and white matter of brain in the territory of middle cerebral artery). If my presumption is incorrect I would need you to copy the report of MRI or CT scan and mail it with follow-up query, I will discuss it then.

In view of the description you gave, the doctor's opinion could be right.

However, there is no harm in taking a second opinion. Only reason that makes me think differently is you say that your father is already being treated for depression and receiving sufficient anxiolytic drugs (while asking the follow-up query please enclose the list of anti depressants he is taking). That being said I cannot think many causes now with the information provided to explain breathlessness which happens only when a person is awake and disappears when the person sleeps.

As you are writing back, please write his posture when he is awake versus the posture when he is asleep.

Awaiting your reply

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover