String-like mucus instead of bowel movement which is very white

I get string like mucus intead of a bowel movment. It is very white.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 49 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I understand your concern and will try to address it.

Our stool normally has some mucus in it but passing lot of mucus or only mucus may denote some underlying problem.

The most common causes are Ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, Bacterial infections, Obstruction of intestines.

Since bacterial infections have associated fever and diarrhoea and intestinal obstruction has constipation, abdominal distension and vomiting, these look unlikely in you as you have not complained any associated symptom.

Since you have the history of ischemic bowel the possibility of irritable bowels or ulcerative colitis are more.

You must consult your doctor for the examination and investigations which may include Stool examination, Colonoscopy and biopsy if required.

I hope to have answered you query however you can revert to me for any further query.

Thanks and best of luck.