Stress, loss of appetite, bloating, indigestion on eating. Treatment for loss of appetite ?

i am 40 years old. Lately i have been under a lot of stress. But for the past 3 weeks i've barely been eating. I'll eat a little, but not much, about 400 calories a day. It's hard for me to eat when i'm stressed, so some days i might not eat at all. But lately i'm been extremely bloated. Like a ball is sitting in my stomach and when i do eat, i feel sick to my stomach.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 5 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand stress coupled with abdominal issues are of concern.

Loss of appetite is certainly a sign of stress. But, a bloating sensation and feeling sick when you do eat is something else that would need an examination. Firstly, to rule out any obstructive signs in your abdomen that you are feeling like a ball within. Obstruction sometimes causes this feeling although what is eaten is less.

Feeling sick - nauseating impulses are originating in the gut when the peristalsis movements get retrograde. This also could be secondary to some obstruction, or irritation. Stress very rarely does cause this symptom only in patients suffering from anorexia nervosa. Which I do not think is your condition.

Meanwhile, you will have to see a doctor for this to examine your abdomen and might require a scan to rule out any cause - and more importantly for your affirmative evidence that you need working on stress rather than any pathology in case.

Try different methods to undo stress. I am sure you have info. Yoga and meditation are proven. Rest depends on your interests. If nothing helps, change the pattern of eating - small intervals and little amounts.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.