Strep throat, gonorrhea, taken phenoxymethylpenicillin. Treatment?

Dermatologist
Question
Is Phenoxymethylpenicillin (Penicillian V) effective in treating gonorrhea?
I understand that the best course of action is for an indivdual to get tested and recieve the preferred type of antibiotic but want to know what the likelihood is that this type could be effective.
I contracted Gonorrhea a while ago and think it unlikely that my partner has the infection given the dates when I slept with other partners. One was 6 months before symptoms arrived and one 10 days before. I didn't sleep with my wife between 10 days before getting the symptoms and getting cured. My wife has however had the odd symptom which could be gonorrhea but could also be normal for her. She got an infection (strep throat) for which the doctor has precribed the above antibotic and I want to know if she would likely be cured if she did have Gonorrhea. My plan is to wait until she has completed the course and then just monitor my own sexual health. If i get Gonorrhea, I'll know she has it. Appreciate your help.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 20 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query,

The incubation period of gonorrhea is 1-14 days .
Main symptoms are burning micturation & white discharge from urethra .

Penicillin is an old and out dated medicine for gonorrhea ,which was given earlier .But for the reason of resistance ,it is no longer given to patients for this purpose.

A grams staining and culture can be done to diagnose and find the most sensitive organism .Following this the best of the medicine can be prescribed.Various other medicines which can be prescribed are azithromycin ,ceftriaxone ,gatifloxacin etc.

If at all your wife has received penicillin ,it would be difficult to say how far it would have been effective.Probably we can only tell whether clinically she has responded or not.If her symptoms are still persisting then she definitively requires a proper medicine for the same.

Hope I have answered your query & this would help to decide the status of your problem .If needed I will be available to answer your follow up queries also.

Dr.Bharat chawda