Strep infection in urine. Scheduled to undergo surgery for hysterectomy. What could be the reason of infection?

I am scheduled for surgery this coming Thursday for a total hysterectomy. I have a melon sized growth on one ovary and "abnormal" tissue diagnosed in the uterus. I have been through several procedures (whose names I can't recall) to try and diagnose the abnormality in the tissue, but I have been told now that won't be known until the pathology is returned after the surgery. I have experienced slight bleeding since these procedures were performed and was told it was alright to use tampons. This last Friday, I completed my pre-op physical and today the clinic called and said, "my urine test was okay, but I had tested positive for strep". Would you please explain this diagnosis to me and how it could have been contracted? Thanks
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 35 minutes later
Strep infection in the urine can be found on cultures sometimes. Its not extremely common but definitely possible. There are 2 types and the treatment is antibiotics. Most commonly penicillin type drugs are sensitive to such infections. The urine culture sensitivity report will indicate the best type of antibiotic. Now UTI are of course common, and the most common method of transmission is poor hygiene. Its normally not sexually contracted. I dont believe that its of too much concern. You may have to complete the antibiotics course. Make sure that you maintain proper hygiene after using public bathrooms,wash with plenty of water, drink plenty of water.