Ask a Urologist   »  

Strange urine odour. No infection in the urine test. Reason?

For a year and I have I have been experiencing strange urinary symptoms. Initially it started with frequent urination and tiredness, but not specific for an acute UTI. The disease was susceptable to Ciprofloxacin. Then returned, and stopped being susceptable to it anymore. Doctors suspected interstitial cystitis, but diagnosed first nervous bladder, then pervic headache, but none has explained to me the strange urine odor that has been pervasive from day one of the symptoms. Urine cultures always returned negative. After physical therapy to treat the headache in the pelvis, the urgency symptoms disappeared, but not the odor. The only thing that treats the odor temporarily is the herb Uva Ursi. But when I stop it, symptoms usually return. Doctors claim that the reason is not bacterial, but I somehow don't believe them. They cannot explain why Uva Ursi, a known anticeptic, helps, even if temporarily. I am considering sending a sample for broth culture to a clinic in XXXXXXX which is among the few that performs this test. I wish someone would explain to me what is really going on. This condition takes a lot of my physical strength and psychological wellbeing. Thank you in advance.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 minute later
Hi ,

Yes, change in the odor of the urine could be due to bacterial infections but not always due to the same.There are many other causes for the odor change or any strong odor of the urine.Since in you when the repeated urine cultures were negative the chances of the cause being infection here is rare.

Most of times the odor of the urine is governed by type of food consumed ,sometimes due to crystallization of salts ,ketones ( in diabetics ), increased ammonia due to increased protein breakdown etc.If you can share with me a recent micro-analysis ( microscopy ) of urine it will be helpful to me to go a step forward and think about the exact cause.

Anticipating your response.