Strange feeling above the head in occipital area, diagnosed with macular degeneration. Sign of brain tumor?

can macular degeneration be a sign of a brain tumor? I was diagnosed with md about one year ago. rx with avastin. Over the past month I have had a strange feeling on the top of my head of occipital area,
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Radhika 8 hours later

I understand that your relating your new or strange feeling at the occipital area to a brain tumor. That is not correct.

Macular degeneration is caused by the malfunction of photosensitive cells in the macula which results in a loss of the central field of vision. The symptoms may include a distortion of images especially at the center of the visual field; a darkened area in the center of an image; and diminished color perception. Dry macular degeneration can progress to a more severe form of the disease called wet macular degeneration, which causes rapid vision loss.

It cannot cause brain tumor. So do not be worried about this in first place.

The strange feeling on the top of the head could be related to uncontrolled blood pressure. I could read that you are taking medicines for that. Blood pressure should be maintained lesser than 130/85mmHg with the medicines.

The other possible reasons could be the drugs that you take.

You could try a change in diet for Macular Degeneration.

1.Include a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables in your diet.These contain antioxidants.

2. Healthy unsaturated fats, such as the fats found in olive oil, may help protect your vision.

3.Choose whole grains over refined grains.

4.Add fish to your diet. Fish contain omega-3 fatty acids that may help reduce the risk of vision loss related to macular degeneration.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up queries.