Strained eyesight, nose bleeds, blurred vision, using computers, refractive error

...Hi Doctor,

I am having trouble with my eye sight at the moment. Around the bridge of my nose feels very tender and sore when I push it and my eye sight itself feels very strained and nearly blurry. I have also suffered a nose bleed or two. This has been happening for the last week.

Its just happening on the right hand side of my face.

Sometimes there is a slight dull pain at the side of my face and near to my temple.

I also sometimes wake up with blurred vision every 3-4 months and my eyes adjust in about 20 minutes back to normal.

I am going for an eye sight test today as I don’t wear glasses but I am wondering if I should also see a doctor. I work on a computer all day and I am wondering if that may effect my eyesight?

Posted Wed, 16 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jagdish 4 hours later

First I would look into occupational point of view as this can affect your work.
Although using a computer will not harm your eyes, staring at a computer screen all day will contribute to eyestrain or tired eyes. Adjust lighting to reduce the glare or harsh reflection. When you are doing precision works including computer job it’s a good idea to rest your eyes briefly every hour or so to lessen eye fatigue. People who stare at a computer screen for long periods tend not to blink as often as usual, which can cause the eyes to feel dry and uncomfortable. Make a conscious effort to blink regularly so that the eyes stay well lubricated and do not dry out.

Some of your symptoms also mimic a migraine or tension type of headache. Manage your stress well with relaxation techniques and breathing exercises.

Nose bleed needs an evaluation while you XXXXXXX your primary physician.

The next steps for you are as follows:

1. First get evaluated by optometrist for refractive errors.

2. A physical examination by a primary physician includes Blood pressure, nasal examination. He may also recommend certain tests if required.

3. Take frequent breaks from computer work

4. Reduce glare as much as possible and lower the monitor to suit to your eye needs. An ideal setup of the workstation monitor should cause the eyes to look down about 5" below straight ahead and the screen should be no more than 2 feet away from you.

5. Avoid Dry Eyes: Blink consiously once every 10 minutes or you may use artificial lubricants.

Please post if you have more queries.