Strained a muscle in lower back. Having constant pain while moving. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Some months ago I strained a muscle in my lower back. At first it was on and off then it flared up and I was forced to spend 2 days in hospita. After that it ceased fror a while but now I have constant pain whenever I want yto move
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Strained muscle should not give symptoms for so long. That is why; it seems that other reasons of such chronic pain should be considered.

On the back, there is a spine located. It moves with every single move in this area. It is possible that spine problem is causing your pain. Any trauma, which could cause muscle strain, could also result with spine disc herniation. Such herniation causes weakness etc.
Other possible reason of your symptoms is chronic inflammation of some muscle part.

As this pain is for a long time with you, I suggest you to get some diagnostics. You should have an MRI of the spine and muscles of your back.

If there will be any spinal cord compression, surgery might be necessary. If it’s a muscle inflammation, steroid injections and physical therapy should be helpful.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.