Strained L5 causing continuous shaking of legs. Cause?

Jun 2013
I strained my l5 gardening today and when i stood when I woke up at 2:00 am my legs were shaking like crazy. It's been going on since even while lying down on and off and I feel like I have to move my legs when it stops. What is going on?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 2 hours later
Hi there ~

I understand your concern. After having gone through your brief history, I understand that you have a family history of parkinson's disease, anxiety and depression. With a prior history of L5 weakness, cervical spondylosis with the C7-8 fusion done, I would be very concerned for your injury from gardening today. I would think that you might need an MRI scan of your lower back i.e. your lumbar spine to make sure that you did not have a slipped disc i.e. a spondylolisthesis that is making your legs act up the way they are. I would consult your doctor that did the spondylar fusion for this event as well. I hope this helps. If you feel nothing beyond a certain point in your legs it is time to go to the emergency room. Please call 911 if you feel you may hurt yourself more driving yourself or having someone drive you to the ER.

Take care and I wish you the very best in your recovery. I hope you also visit your psychiatrist when all these acute issues with your back and legs are resolved since it might be highly beneficial to do so with a chronic condition and a past history of anxiety and depression. I also hope you have a therapist to be able to vent things out. Good luck!