Stopping of breath when try to sleep. Is it Central Sleep Apnea? Need advice on proper treatment

Question
for last one year i have sleep disorder , whenever i try to sleep or take a nap , the moment i go to sleep it stops my breath, this way i am always awake . it looks like i have CSA , could you please adivce me how to get right treatment . and also which doctors should i see
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Radhika 33 minutes later

You are suffering from sleep disorder for a year now. There are many types of sleep apnea; it can only be diagnosed after proper examination and evaluation.

Central sleep apnea (CSA) occurs when the brain does not send the signal to breathe to the muscles of breathing. There are many causes for this like use of certain medications such as narcotics-containing painkillers, obesity, adults with heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, or congenital diseases, but it also can be caused by some medications and high altitudes.

This has to be diagnosed by a General Medicine Physician or sleep specialist. A sleep study or overnight monitoring has to be done while the patient is in the hospital.

If there is any underlying heart disease, medication interaction, high altitude, or other primary problem has to be treated first before proceeding with the treatment.

You can follow some remedies meanwhile like:
1. Losing weight if you are overweight. Even moderate to severe sleep apnea can be completely corrected by losing excess weight.
2. Quit smoking. It will contribute to sleep apnea by increasing inflammation and fluid retention in your throat and upper airway.
3. Avoid alcohol, sleeping pills, and sedatives, especially before bedtime.
4. Avoid caffeine and heavy meals within two hours of going to bed.
5. Maintain regular sleep hours.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Stopping of breath when try to sleep. Is it Central Sleep Apnea? Need advice on proper treatment 2 hours later
my place altitute is only 615meters , i am not obese , nor i am taking any medicine except metformin for diabetes should i consult neurologist and cardiologist , is there any sleep study centers in india

Answered by Dr. Radhika 7 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Since you are not having any of these conditions or taking any such medications, you will need to be tested by an XXXXXXX medicine specialist first. If he finds any abnormalities then you can be referred to the right specialty.

Indraprastha Apollo Sleep Laboratory has a Sleep disorder Lab in New Delhi, India.

Regards.