Stopped taking thyroid medication. Experiencing tingling on head and face. Is this due to medicine?

Was put on a thyroid medication in January, and stopped taking it about ninty days later with severe side effects. Since, all of my blood tests have been normal and I have lost all of those side effects except one. I have a rush and tingling on my head and face, seemingly from a blood rush. Could that still be from my thyroid medication that long ago?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 9 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It is very unlikely that the symptom that your are experiencing is due to the thyroid medication which you last took 90 days ago. The half-life (i.e. the time taken to clear half the original level of the medication from your bloodstream) of Thyroxine is about 7 to 10 days . It usually takes about 5 half lives to completely eliminate a medication from the body. This means that in less than two months the thyroid medication would have been completely cleared from your system. That is why it is unlikely that your current symptom could be an effect of the medication.

This tingling / flushing sensation may be due to some other cause like thyroid disorders itself, diabetes, certain vitamin deficiencies, anxiety disorders, etc. So, if this problem is causing you significant distress, I would suggest that you see a doctor to have a thorough physical examination, including a neurological examination to ascertain the cause.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar