Stopped taking the birth control pill and had unprotected sex. What are the chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Hello - my girlfriend and I had unprotected sex and she has been off the pill for 6 days after her period. I came inside her and she now has taken the pill that she has been on for the last few months. Will this help?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 22 minutes later

As she stopped taking the birth control pill for 6 days after her period, she may not get protected from unwanted pregnancy in recent unprotected sexual intercourse.

In this case, only emergency pill or morning after pill (like unwanted 72 or I-pill) can help her in prevention of pregnancy. It gives more than 95% protection if it is taken within first 24 hrs and 85% in case of taken within 24-48 hrs.

She may get withdrawal bleeding due to effect of the pill. It is quite common & normal phenomena. It generally occurs within 7 days of taking the pill and lasts for next 3-5 days or less. Bleeding will stop automatically & usually no treatment is required.

Next period may be earlier or delayed from expected date due to hormonal imbalance. It is generally seen that 7-10 days date alteration may occur.

Even after 10 days, if she does not get her period, initially one home pregnancy test with urine and later one blood test for beta-HCG are required to confirm or exclude pregnancy. After that you can contact with gynecologist for next line of management.

She will start new packet of birth control pill only after getting next period and from day 1 of that cycle.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish her good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Stopped taking the birth control pill and had unprotected sex. What are the chances of pregnancy? 12 minutes later
Thank you.

My girlfriend has taken XXXXXXX can she take an additional pill as it has progesterone. XXXXXXX has; drospirenone 3000mg and etinilestradiol 0.030mg.

We are unable to purchase morning after pill in this country and could this be helpful?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 34 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.
XXXXXXX is not a substitute of emergency contraceptive pill. You have to buy that pill to give higher protection against unwanted pregnancy.

No, she does not take additional pill though it has progesterone as every birth control pill has own recommended dose and it gives highest protection only on regular using as per schedule. Taking additional pill may give adverse effect on body. Irregular intake of pill does not give full protection.

Therefore, only two doses of morning after pill (contains levonorgestrel) at 12 hrs interval will help you in this condition and nothing else.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & take care of herself.

Dr Soumen