Stopped taking rosuvas during tonsillitis and fever. Cholesterol level test done. Any concern?

Dear Doctor
Three months back, my cholesterol lever was:
Total: 252.3, HDL-49.9, LDL 158.8 and Triglycerides: 183.3
This week i tested again and the new result is
Total: 254, HDL-49, LDL 157.7 and Triglycerides: 153.7
All less than last result but total is more than last. why is it so. I am aware that HDL is good which is little less but i am confused. how the total is calculate. My doctor earlier asked me to start Rosuvas but i stopped the medicine during a severe tonsillitis and fever. Then did not continue it. After a month now i tested again and results above. I am very thin height 185 and weight 70. My mother has cholesterol but with in the range of 200-250 and father has high BP. Both had thyroid problems and the glad is removed, for both. One of mother's sister had a cardiac block but other than that no history of heart disease.
Thank you for your advise.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The value of 157.7 is quite high for LDL cholesterol.
In the absence of any other risk factor 100 is ideal.
In the presence of heart disease, 70 should be the aim.

Total cholesterol and HDL are directly estimated.
The value changes with endogenous (in the body) production / and exogenous supply (food).
LDL is calculated / the value changes because some more cholesterol is with VLDL
[That is why the term ‘non-HDL’ cholesterol is preferred by some.]

Cholesterol can still be high, because it is also manufactured in the liver.
And that is determined by heredity.

The life style changes – diet and exercise – have to be continued for life.
Incidental illness is no reason to discontinue.

Healthy FOOD is a must.
Avoid saturated fats – coconut oil, palm oil, butter, ghee, full cream milk and milk products...
Avoid junk foods – French fries have palm oil / Pizza has cheese / Indian sweets are made in ghee...
Change to Poly-un-saturated oil – like sun flower oil.
Include Mono-un-saturated oil – Olive oil.

Repeat the test in 6 weeks.

Statin is the first choice.
If in spite of the drug, the level is high, you have to step up your dose of the statin.

If still elevated after the maximum dose, add another drug – like Ezetimibe or Fibrate.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck