Stopped taking pill. Getting irregular periods. Pregnancy test negative. Is it the effect of the pill?

Hi, i stopped taking the pill in May 2012, i had a regular period in XXXXXXX then in July i was 4 days late and i suspected i was pregnant. (since taken 2 tests negative) I had really really bad cramps for 5-6 days and i have had a stronger more bright red coloured period. Past period i had cramps for 12hours XXXXXXX and then light bleeding for 4-5 days. I had read it could be my uterus lining coming away more now i have stopped the pill? Is this correct? I have been taking the pill for approx 8 years i am 34 now. thanks,
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later

Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The benefits of the pill is that it regulates your cycle, leads to lighter cycles, and prevents pregnancy.

Coming off of the pill, you can experience more cycle irregularity (based on variation in terms of when you ovulate) heavier cycles (because the lining grows more in response to estrogen produced by your ovaries) and a risk for pregnancy.

So in answer to your question, it is not that the lining is "coming away more" but rather, it is growing to a greater extent so when you shed it it is heavier. Given the irregularity and cramps, it is also never a bad idea to check a pregnancy test if you are at risk for pregnancy.

Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!