Stopped taking paroxetine. When can I start sam-e with 5-htp?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi;
I stopped taking paroxetine 5mg five days ago. How fast can I start taking 5-htp?
And also can I combine SAM-e with 5-thp?

Thanks for your advice,
XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 15 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Paroxetine has a relatively shorter "half-life" of 24 hours; what this simply means is that 5 days is is sufficient to clear the medication from your system.

So, it should be okay to take other medication like 5-HTP after 5 days of stopping Paroxetine.

SAM-e and 5-HTP are different amino acid derivatives (methionine and tryptophan respectively) and so, it should be okay to take them together.

I would however advise you to: 1) procure them only from a genuine and standard source; and 2) use the lowest doses possible.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Stopped taking paroxetine. When can I start sam-e with 5-htp? 2 minutes later
Thank you;
Is there any particular brand that you recommend to be genuine?
I bought 5-htp from Wholehealth and SAM-e from Vitacost brands.

Thanks a lot

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
The brands which you have mentioned appear to be standard ones and so, it should be fine to take these supplements.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist