Stopped taking doxycycline. Getting severe pains in chest when trying to eat. Reason?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I stopped taking doxycycline capsules because I have severe pains in chest when trying to eat. its been 4 days without food and becoming week. I,m in Philippines on holiday and I want the pain to ease so I can eat. please may you help me. I went to docks here they just give me paracetomol wich did nothing. what can I do.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 36 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Doxycycline is very much known to cause pill esophagitis. In this condition, the inner lining of the esophagus (food-pipe) gets eroded causing pain while swallowing.

You made the wise thing of stopping the capsules.

To confirm pill esophagitis, an upper GI endoscopy should be done.
For relief of symptoms, you need to take sucralfate and omeprazole.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Stopped taking doxycycline. Getting severe pains in chest when trying to eat. Reason? 1 hour later
I just want to ask if what milligram we will need to buy for Omeprazole b-cause the available here is 20 mg and 40 mg. How many tablets we need to buy for Omeprazole? How many times he will take for this tablet? About the Sucralfate, how many tablets and how many times he will take for this tablet? we will be waiting for your reply..thanks...

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 minutes later
Take omeprazole 20 mg twice a day before food for 4 weeks.
Sucralfate is available as suspension and 10 ml four times a day can be taken till there is relief.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Stopped taking doxycycline. Getting severe pains in chest when trying to eat. Reason? 10 minutes later
the sucralfate is only 1 mg available here..is it still 4 times a day if I only take 1 mg of sucralfate?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 minutes later
Yes, 1 gm 4 times a day .

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Stopped taking doxycycline. Getting severe pains in chest when trying to eat. Reason? 8 minutes later
the sucralfate is only 1 mg available here..is it still 4 times a day if I only take 1 mg of sucralfate? I will be waiting your reply..thanks..

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 40 minutes later
It cannot be 1 mg. It must be 1 gm. Kindly verify it.
The dose is 1 gm 4 times a day.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini