Stopped taking birth control. Missing period after unprotected sex. No pregnancy symptoms. Pregnant?

Mar 2016

Hi dr, I have always had irregular periods and I haven't had a period in 3 months. I stopped taking my birth control three months ago and we haven't used protection. The last two days I have felt like I was on my period but no blood just clear discharge. I have no other symptoms of pregnancy but could i be pregnant? Thank you YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

Your clinical presentation most possibly suggests that you are suffering from irregular delayed period, called oligomenorrhoea. Though, we need to exclude pregnancy (as you did unprotected sex) by the following tests.

1) A blood test for Beta-HCG 2) Ultrasound scan for pelvis to rule out intrauterine pregnancy.

In exclusion of pregnancy, reasons for oligomenorrhoea are ovarian cyst or PCOD (most common), stress/ anxiety, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, thyroid dysfunction, psychological factors, overweight or extreme weight loss etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as Ultrasound (USG) lower abdomen, LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels, Blood prolactin level, thyroid profile, Blood sugar (PPBS) etc.

Clear vaginal discharge may be seen prior to commence period or during pregnancy due to progesterone hormone. If it has no bad smell or itching, then you have nothing to worry. Maintenance of genital hygiene is the key to get relief from this condition.

Proper treatment depends upon underlying causative factor. Therefore, you have to consult with gynecologist for proper guidance through investigations after a physical examination.

In the interim, the following measures can be helpful:

1) Control body weight by regular physical exercise (if there is no pregnancy)
2) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
3) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
4) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat more vegetables/ fruits.
5) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen.