Stopped taking birth control. Experiencing spotting after having sex. Is this due to birth control?

I stopped taking my birth control (tri-spintec) about a week ago and since then I had period like bleeding for two days and experience spotting after having sex with my husband. Is this due to the birth control getting out of my system?
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 23 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you today.

When you take birth control, it stabilizes the lining so that it does not cycle, except when you want it to. With the discontinuation of the pill, and with the fall in hormone levels, it is normal to experience a "withdrawl" bleed. So you are correct, this is due to stopping the pill.

The spotting after intercourse might just be a coincidence in terms of just stopping the pill, so if this continues as you continue to cycle normally, then it would be worth going in to your OB/GYN for an exam to see why the spotting with intercourse is a persistent problem.

I hope this helps - DR XXXXXXX