Stopped smoking marijuana, x-ray negative, have sinus infection, chest pain, dry mucus. Could this be cancer?

I am a 46 years old male who used to smoke marijuana for over 15 years. I have stopped for a while now and I was recently diagnised with a Sinus infection. I had an xray that came back negative, but I am concerned because I have a dull ache in my chest area. I have a dry sometimes mucus. Sometimes the mucus is white other times the mucus is a light XXXXXXX color. I am on Antibiotics for about 5 days now. I have been feeling this way for about 3 weeks now and I am not sure what to do. This is my second round of antibiotics and I am really nervous. Could this be cancer and the xray didn't pick it up? Is it normal to have chest pain with a stubborn sinus infection. I am on clarithromycin 500 mg. Please help. I am very worried and my chest feels heavy.
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Heathcare Magic!
Sinus infection as such would not cause chest pain but it would case a pain in forehead and face.
Chest pain and greenish sputum is suggesive of a lung infection.
May be a pneumonia, bronchitis or tracheobronchitis.
You have had the antibiotics for sufficient duration.
Please get a Chest Xray repeated and a CBC done and review with a local physician, It seems you need to escalate antibiotics.
Such infections usually need two antibiotics combination one of which must cover Pseudomonas like Piperacillin+Tazobactum or Cefepime.
The combination and dose your clician would know.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!