Stopped smoking. Took ECP after intercourse. Missing period. HPT negative. Reason?

I am 26 year old woman. It has been four weeks since I quit smoking cold XXXXXXX I have not smoked since my quit day. Several days before I quit, while I was still menstruating, I took an emergency contraceptive pill after intercourse with my partner (I do not use it as a regular form of contraception) .
I am now seven days late into my next cycle. I was wondering whether the quitting smoking, and/or the ECP could contribute to a late period (I know stress can cause disruptions to menstruation). I have taken a home pregnancy test, the result was negative. I'm just a little worried and was after some guidance. Thank you
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Emergency contraception disturbs the normal hormonal milieu of the body as the emergency pill contains high dose of hormone. As a result, some may experience a breakthrough bleeding soon after the pill intake while others miss their normal period.

You could be experiencing a delayed period due to the emergency pill usage. In addition, stress that may have been induced as a result of quitting smoking may have contributed to the delay.

You need not worry much if you have taken the emergency pill soon after the unprotected intercourse within the stipulated time as it is then very effective in preventing pregnancy. You should see a gynecologist if you do not get your period in another week's time to get proper evaluation and to exclude/confirm a pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.