Stopped smoking. On levothyroxin. Blood test showed elevated TSH level. Due to quitting smoking?

Oncologist
Question
quit smoking July 29. at that time was on levothyroxin .137 mg. at that time blood test indicated all was within normal range. last week I had a new blood test indicating my TSH had jumped up to 11.5. did quitting smoking cause this? I have never forgotten to take my medication. am 57 year old female.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

If you are currently feeling well I think it would be reasonable for your doctor to repeat the thyroid test once again in the next couple of weeks. If the thyroid stimulating hormone level is still elevated I think it would be reasonable to increase the dose of your thyroid supplement. Sometimes although it is not very predictable, the thyroid stimulating hormone level can fluctuate which will necessitate adjustments in the dose of the medication. This may occur over a number of months or sometimes years.

Again I think it would be reasonable to repeat the blood test again and if the thyroid stimulating hormone level is elevated an appropriate adjustment of your medication would be indicated. Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Stopped smoking. On levothyroxin. Blood test showed elevated TSH level. Due to quitting smoking? 12 minutes later
I haven't been feeling well and know to have it rechecked...does smoking or not smoking affect levels? just wondering why it jumped so high when I have been "level" for almost 15 years

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 40 minutes later
It is remotely possible that smoking had some effect on your thyroid function although I don't think this is well published. There are certainly a number of chemicals In cigarettes which could potentially affect metabolism. These really have not been studied in any great detail in relation to thyroid function in my opinion.

I am glad you have quit smoking And now in light of the symptoms you're having it does appear that your thyroid medication might need to be adjusted. This is a very routine type of concern with your doctor should be able to manage very successfully.

Thanks again for sending your question. Let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr Galamaga