Stopped smoking. Having bad chest pains, sore legs and sore throat. Having phlegm and nose bleeds. What to do?

Oncologist, Surgical
I stopped smoking 47 days ago. I smoked about 2 50 packs a week. Ever since I quit smoking (from the very first day) I have been getting bad chest pains tht go down my arms and back, sore legs, a weird feeling on the right side of my head - like a tingle that lasts for about 3 minutes, a sore throat, the feeling of having a lot of phlegm in my throat, my voice sometimes sounds like im croaky and now every time I blow my nose it bleeds. What is going on? I felt good when I smoked and I can honestly say I have never felt so crap in my life now I have stopped
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Some of the symptoms you have described are withdrawal symptoms and will subside with time. I would recommend that you try nicotine substitutes and join a support group.
Some of the other symptoms which you have mentioned like bleeding, change of voice and phlegm are not good signs and they require a thorough evaluation considering you past history of smoking. These symptoms could represent something nasty like a cancer and you need to get a X-ray chest and possibly a CT scan of the chest to rule this condition out. I would strongly recommend that you schedule a meeting with your doctor and have these tests done as soon as possible.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query