Ask a Dentist   »  

Stopped smoking. Have temporomandibular joint disorder. Looking for cure

ENT Specialist
i stopped smoking and have tmj my ears seem plugged up a lot of the time
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Smoking tends to damage the delicate lining of the nose. Tiny cilia (hair-like) on the inner mucosal lining beat rhythmically a mucus blanket which protects the mucosa. These cilia become immobile or are destroyed due to smoking. it is good to hear that you have stopped. Parts of the mucosa may recover ciliary function. Ciliary function may also be poor in hypothyroidism.

2. Such a change in the Eustachian Tubes that connect the ear to the back of the nose may lead to Audiometry). Your hearing levels should also be tested

3. The TMJ is a complex joint with no support. the two sides rotate the mouth open and close, the jaw can move forward and backward and side to side as in chewing. This delicate balance between the two TMJ's can be disturbed by joint problems or dentition or 'bite' problems.

4. Treatment of TMD (TMJ Dysfunction) is based on identifying the exact cause. An OPG (Orthopantomogram) will demonstrate the health of the joints. The jaw may be relaxed by getting a silicone splint or dental tray initially to be used in the night. This also prevents Bruxism (grinding of teeth).

5. Sinus problems should ideally be ruled out on a plain CT Scan of the Para Nasal Sinuses (PNS Scan). You may upload the images here (not the report).

6. Start regular steam inhalation. Check for any drug interactions (such as anti-hypertensives) that may dry up the mucosa. You may follow up with the reports here for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.