Stopped smoking. Have persistence cough and shoulder pain. X-ray, ct scan clear. Taking zyrtec

I am a 40 year old woman, a former moderate smoker, who quit about 16 years ago. My symptoms include a persistent cough, left side pain that moves between the shoulder, bicep, under the arm as well as under my rib cage in the back, also on the left side. The pain does not increase or decrease depending on position of the arm or body and it has been ongoing for about three-four months. These pains are mostly on the left side, with occasional, very intermittent pain in similar places on the right side. I have had a clear X-ray and CT scan, within the last four months but I am still worried it is lung cancer. Recently, I have had changes in my voice, ie hoarseness or difficulty speaking. I am on a reflux medication to help address the cough and an anti-inflammatory to help the arm/shoulder pain. The anti-inflammatory has had no effect. I am not sure if the reflux medicine is working, the cough is intermittent throughout the day. I also take Zyrtec at night. Any thoughts? Oh and I also have knee pain in both knees, intermittently. I am not sure whether that is at all related.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from GERD (Gastro esophageal reflux disease) induced cough.

2. Any lung involvement should have been picked up by ct scan of the thorax.

3. You should get your hoarseness of voice checked by and ENT specialist. Also do get your neck glands checked by him.

4. If the shoulder pain is not responding to standard analgesics then an evaluation with an orthopedician for further work up to rule out any local etiology needs to be done.

5. Apart from medications lifestyle modifications, avoiding oily / spicy diets also need to be done for control of GERD.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist